ASSA ABLOY's drive to make sustainability an integral part of its business philosophy and culture is apparent in the newly constructed ASSA ABLOY Phoenix building. The Phoenix, Arizona home of Group brands Adams Rite, HES and Securitron incorporates sustainable construction methods that have earned the facility LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver certification from the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
ASSA ABLOY Americas First LEED Silver Building
The Phoenix facility is the first ASSA ABLOY Americas building designed to the LEED Silver Level. USBG is an internationally recognized organization that provides the LEED rating system, a concise framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. When designing our 94,000 square-foot facility, we incorporated a highly efficient air conditioning system, plus Energy Star® appliances and equipment. The building features skylights, automatic controls and sensors that conserve energy as well as lights on motion sensors and timers for climate control. Upgraded insulation and reduced water consumption for plumbing fixtures reduce energy and water usage. Employees in the building benefit from improved interior air ventilation.
Green Team: Our Employees Make a Difference
Employees and guests play a significant role in making the work environment healthy and sustainable. Our Sustainability Committee is a team of people that help guide ad direct our activities towards supporting sustainability practices at work, community involvement and business related processes. The group has identified better practices in the way we recycle, by setting up additonal bins, signs and training, has held fundraisers for community organizations and has identified products to review to reduce excessive packaging.
How We Are Making a Difference:
- Recyling bins are strategically located throughout the building to facilitate recycling for operations and employees
- Carpool programs incentivize employees to reduce the number of vehicles on the road
- Signs located throughout the building and internal action committees help educate guests and employees of the "green" features of the space
- We have a smoke-free workplace
- Environmentally responsible cleaning practices are used to maintain the building
- Participation in an "off-site" event at an organization called Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) within our local community
ASSA ABLOY Phoenix received formal conveyance of its LEED Silver certification in 2012 and enjoy the opportunity to showcase its new home as an example of ASSA ABLOY’s commitment to sustainability.